Search the Modern Family Law Company website

Abduction & International Family Law

Any family court proceedings that involve the legal jurisdictions of other countries can be very complicated. Abduction is just one example of this. Other examples are when consideration is being given to placing a child with family members abroad and it is necessary to understand how the family and immigration law in the other country will apply to the situation. We would recommend that you seek legal advice from the outset if you are involved in family proceedings involving a foreign jurisdiction as this is a complex and specialist area of law.

My child has been unlawfully taken abroad. What can I do?

If you are faced with the distress of having your child unlawfully taken abroad or  if you have removed a child from another country to protect them we can offer immediate assistance by making an urgent application to Court or responding urgently to an application that has already been made.


I live in another country. I want to take my grandchild home to live with me. What should I do?

Ideally, you would come to the UK and make an application here. However, this may require you obtaining a visa to enter the UK. You would also need to ensure that the child has immigration clearance to enter the country you live in and a right to live there permanently. The family court here would want to know whether any order it made in respect of the child would be recognised in the foreign jurisdiction and whether it would be necessary to seek a “mirror order” there.


How can The Modern Family Law Company help?

We are specialists in all areas of family law relating to children. We can advise and represent you. We will advise you how the law relates to your particular family situation. We will talk and walk you through the process. We will draft the necessary legal documents and ensure that your case is set out in the strongest possible way.  We will arrange for a specialist advocate to represent you at court hearings.


How will we support you?

Whatever your situation, we will be there to support you through all the ups and downs of the process. We can refer you to one of our trusted partners e.g. a counsellor or psychotherapist,  if more formal support services are needed.


How do I find out more?

Please Get in Touch via our contact page and we'll be delighted to provide further information.

Website designed by Bill Craddock Graphic Design
Built and hosted by Spectrum Web Products